Renewing a US or American Passport in the Philippines

Renewing a US or American Passport in the Philippines

REMINDER:  Just because a passport is expired it doesn’t mean that you are no longer a U.S. citizen. That’s not true. You still have the same rights and privilege as a U.S, Citizen. This means you can go to the U.S. Embassy any time you want – during operating hours, of course, and receive the same service as you’d expect when your passport is valid. Your passport is just expired and just needs to be renewed. You can call in for information or go there and ask. That’s what they are there for.

You can renew your US or American passport in the Philippines either at the US Consulate in Cebu or at the US Embassy in Manila.

If you are closer to Manila, then renew your US or American passport at the American Embassy in Manila. To renew it in Manila, you need an email address. You mail your renewal application together with the (2 each) 2×2 ID photo and the old passport. Once they receive your application, the US Embassy will email you instructions when to come to the US Embassy to pay for your passport renewal. Rates change so please check the current price or for more up to date information click here.

On your appointment date to pay, it is best to stop across the street of the US Embassy and use the overpass walk bridge to go to the Embassy. You don’t have to fall in line outside the US Embassy on Roxas Blvd. There is a special line for US citizens and you go through that entrance. You will see a longer line outside but that’s for people applying for  a visa – visitor, fiance, spousal, work, etc. You do not go on that line. You will also encounter people outside the embassy asking you to have your cellphone secured with them – you don’t need to that because you are a US citizen. The guards in the US Citizen Services door/entrance will take your cellphone and/or other valuables to secure it while you are taking care of your business inside the Embassy. There are no cellphones or picture taking allowed inside the US Embassy building for security reasons.

Once inside the Embassy, you will be given a number so you have to wait until called. First, you will wait outside, then you go to the 2nd floor and wait. Make sure you have the money on hand – either in pesos or dollar. You will also pay for the mailing of your passport in advance. After you’ve (or your designated representative) made your payment, then you wait until the Embassy completes the renewal process. It usually takes 2-3 weeks for the renewal process to get done. You will not get your passport that day.

If you are in the Visayas or Mindanao, you can renew or file for lost US or American passport at the Philippine Consulate in Cebu. You don’t have to go to Manila. The US Consulate in Cebu is only open in the morning. You go to the US Consulate in Cebu located below the Waterfront Hotel in Lahug. The guard will give you a number at the door and you go in when your number is called. Once you’re inside the Consulate, your number will be called again and that will be the time that you either fill out or give your application, together with the (2 each) 2×2 ID photo and the old passport.

Passport renewals through the US Consulate in Cebu will take 3-4 weeks contrary to the Manila processing time because of the mailing time to Manila. You pay for the passport renewal on the spot and also need to make a note that you want the passport mailed to your address. This note will notify the US Embassy in Manila to mail your passport to you – collect, through Air21. Once your passport is renewed, the US Embassy will send your new and old passport to you through Air21. During the Air21  delivery of your new American passport, the courier will ask you for a cash payment. This will cover the  mailing (P91.00 as of Dec 2012).

US Passport renewal in the Philippines

US Passport renewal in the Philippines

Expired US or American Passport while in the Philippines

You may run into an expiring US or American passport while in the Philippines. No worries, you can renew it while in the Philippines. You can also ask for an emergency (temporary extension) passport which is good for a year but you have to prove or convince the Consul that it is an emergency. You will be asked to write down the reason why you need an emergency passport. Or you can renew it and go through the process.

The US Embassy or Consulate has to approve the issuance of an emergency passport and you will get a temporary passport the same day or the next day. It would be advisable to bring a copy of your flight reservation if you are flying out for an emergency or you can’t wait for the renewal process. It is still at the discretion of the American Consul.

Once you get back into the US, you can renew the emergency passport before it expires that year – for free. The fee you paid for the emergency passport will be credited towards an actual (renewal) passport. If you pass the one year validity of the temporary passport, then you will have to pay for a regular renewal. You will no longer get credit from the temporary passport payment.

Here are the instructions from the US Embassy in Manila. Please follow it step by step. There are no shortcuts. It is just a process and no, it’s not Burger King where you get it the way you want it. Also, you can click on the source below for other instructions such as first passport application for under 16 and over 16 years old or adults, renewing a child passport under 16, renewing for the first time as an adult, correcting or changing information on your passport, adding pages, lost, stolen, or damaged passport, and a passport that expired over 5 years ago. I only had experience renewing it.

Step 1:

  • Fill out electronically and print the DS-82 Application for a U.S. Passport wizard form.  If you experience trouble with this Passport Application Wizard, click here for Form DS-82 (PDF format).  To view PDF files, you need a PDF reader such as Adobe Acrobat.  Get a free download from the Adobe website.
  • Fill out and print  (PDF Format). You may also complete the form electronically by using the Passport Application Wizard by clicking here.  To view PDF files, you need a PDF reader such as Adobe Acrobat.  Get a free download from the Adobe website.
  • Check that you have read the Privacy and Computer Fraud and Abuse Acts Notices and Disclaims and click submit.
  • Print out the DS-82 form upon completion.  Make sure to include a valid email on the form.
  • Please note that some instructions and options on the form are only applicable in the United States.

Step 2:
Mail your documents to the embassy at the following mailing address: Citizenship and Passport Unit, American Citizens Services, Consular Section, U.S. Embassy, 1201 Roxas Boulevard, 1000 Manila.  Do not make an online appointment for this service. Strictly Mail only and no walk in. You may also use our contracted courier by calling (02) 879-4747  to have Air21 courier pick-up the documents and  deliver them to the Embassy.  Note: If you send it via Air21 courier, the one-time courier fee covers the two way service: pick-up of documents and delivery of the completed passport.

Please include the following:

Once your documents are received, the Embassy will notify you through email for the instructions on when to come to the Embassy to pay the application fee as well as to arrange for delivery of the passport with the Embassy’s contracter courier, Air21 courier (for mailed-in applications). Alternatively, you may send a representative to pay the application fee on your behalf.  Please bring:

  • $135 in cash (U.S. dollars or Philippine pesos equivalent) or credit card
  • A printout of the email notification sent to you by the Embassy

Step 4:

Once payment has been made and application has been approved, passport will be processed and delivered within 2-3 weeks. The expired U.S. passport (duly cancelled by the Embassy) will be delivered together with the new U.S. passport.

170 Comments on Renewing a US or American Passport in the Philippines

  1. Hi po, so ung pong pag submit ng application have to be by mail lng? Kase po nag set na ko na appointment kala ko dun pla sya isasubmit(in person). Pls rep po.

  2. For additional,REquired ba sya na mag palit og round ticket to come herefor wedding!?Kay gusto nya after wedding muapply sya og permanent visa dire.Need jud kaayo ang reply I hope you will notice my comments very soon. Nagplano ta ko na muanha personally about my querries.Naa ko sa lapu lapu karon!??

  3. Hello , I have querries very important para sa akongfiancee from USA.Gusto namo magpakasal dire and dire na sya mu live for good.
    Like after wedding mu apply sya og permanent visa.Will that be possible!?
    And also pwde ra ba sya kaari without visa or what kinda of visa he needa to fly here!?
    I hope you can answer my query.
    Thank you

  4. marissa cervania // August 25, 2015 at 9:47 am // Reply

    good evening po..yung passport po n sa dec paageexpire pwede pa rin mkaexit ng bansa?..magsstay po ng hawaii sugro 3 it ok that iwill renew the passport at hawaii?

  5. Hello, Daughter was Naturally born in the US from American Father. We got devorced 7 years ago and daughter and I been kiving in Phil since then. She is 11 now She is a Dual citizen also. Question How can I renew her Us US passport without her Father consent letter that we have not heard from him for last 6 years. Is it possible to bring daughter with her Birth certificate by my self as her Mother. Wantvto move dauhhter back to the US but renewing her passport is keep us hold for she is under 16 and require both parents ir Consent lettet to renew it. Thnk U.

  6. lani santos // August 18, 2015 at 7:40 am // Reply

    hindi ko alam kung paano ako makakuha ng appointment for renewal sa U.S. passport ng dalawa kong anak. dinala ko sila dito sa iloilo ang year 2000 pa up to now. pinanganak ko sila sa saipan U.S. isa akong OFW doon dati. naiuwi ko sila dito sa pilipinas mula ng mag stop hiring sa saipan .dahil hirap kami sa buhay hindi ko na sila naibalik sa saipan. mag 18years old na ang isa kong anak ang isa naman ay 15 years old . nag-aalala ako baka mawala ang kanilang citizenship kaya nag pasya kami mag asawa na mangutang kami para ma renew ang kanilang U.S. passport . nahirapan kmi paano magpa appointment kahit sa pag fill-up baka magkamali kami. saan ka sa CEBU?? at saan pwede kami pumunta doon para maprocess ang papers nila ..wala kasi kami pamilya doon. thank you

  7. Tess Camarin // August 15, 2015 at 6:51 pm // Reply

    I am a US citizen and I am in the Philippines right now, my US passport expires next month but I am not ready yet to go back to US. Can I do renewal thru on line passport renewal services offered by some agencies in US and renew my passport in there? They can expedite in 5 days. Is that ok? Thanks.

  8. hi. my uspassport expired 4 months ago and i just filled out the application and printed it out. i have my passport and pics ready. can i just go to the us emabassy instead of doing it through mail? i am scared my documents might be stolen or get lost through the mailing system

  9. Good day. I just want to ask if their is an online application for appointment to renew a passport in Cebu, or is it a walk-in basis? I am based in Mindanao. Tnx.

  10. Johanna Tejero // July 21, 2015 at 4:36 am // Reply

    Ask lang po Kasi single mom ako at Wala po father sa birth certificate Anak ko pano ko po erenew eto?

1 7 8 9 10

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.