Renewing a US or American Passport in the Philippines

Renewing a US or American Passport in the Philippines

REMINDER:  Just because a passport is expired it doesn’t mean that you are no longer a U.S. citizen. That’s not true. You still have the same rights and privilege as a U.S, Citizen. This means you can go to the U.S. Embassy any time you want – during operating hours, of course, and receive the same service as you’d expect when your passport is valid. Your passport is just expired and just needs to be renewed. You can call in for information or go there and ask. That’s what they are there for.

You can renew your US or American passport in the Philippines either at the US Consulate in Cebu or at the US Embassy in Manila.

If you are closer to Manila, then renew your US or American passport at the American Embassy in Manila. To renew it in Manila, you need an email address. You mail your renewal application together with the (2 each) 2×2 ID photo and the old passport. Once they receive your application, the US Embassy will email you instructions when to come to the US Embassy to pay for your passport renewal. Rates change so please check the current price or for more up to date information click here.

On your appointment date to pay, it is best to stop across the street of the US Embassy and use the overpass walk bridge to go to the Embassy. You don’t have to fall in line outside the US Embassy on Roxas Blvd. There is a special line for US citizens and you go through that entrance. You will see a longer line outside but that’s for people applying for  a visa – visitor, fiance, spousal, work, etc. You do not go on that line. You will also encounter people outside the embassy asking you to have your cellphone secured with them – you don’t need to that because you are a US citizen. The guards in the US Citizen Services door/entrance will take your cellphone and/or other valuables to secure it while you are taking care of your business inside the Embassy. There are no cellphones or picture taking allowed inside the US Embassy building for security reasons.

Once inside the Embassy, you will be given a number so you have to wait until called. First, you will wait outside, then you go to the 2nd floor and wait. Make sure you have the money on hand – either in pesos or dollar. You will also pay for the mailing of your passport in advance. After you’ve (or your designated representative) made your payment, then you wait until the Embassy completes the renewal process. It usually takes 2-3 weeks for the renewal process to get done. You will not get your passport that day.

If you are in the Visayas or Mindanao, you can renew or file for lost US or American passport at the Philippine Consulate in Cebu. You don’t have to go to Manila. The US Consulate in Cebu is only open in the morning. You go to the US Consulate in Cebu located below the Waterfront Hotel in Lahug. The guard will give you a number at the door and you go in when your number is called. Once you’re inside the Consulate, your number will be called again and that will be the time that you either fill out or give your application, together with the (2 each) 2×2 ID photo and the old passport.

Passport renewals through the US Consulate in Cebu will take 3-4 weeks contrary to the Manila processing time because of the mailing time to Manila. You pay for the passport renewal on the spot and also need to make a note that you want the passport mailed to your address. This note will notify the US Embassy in Manila to mail your passport to you – collect, through Air21. Once your passport is renewed, the US Embassy will send your new and old passport to you through Air21. During the Air21  delivery of your new American passport, the courier will ask you for a cash payment. This will cover the  mailing (P91.00 as of Dec 2012).

US Passport renewal in the Philippines

US Passport renewal in the Philippines

Expired US or American Passport while in the Philippines

You may run into an expiring US or American passport while in the Philippines. No worries, you can renew it while in the Philippines. You can also ask for an emergency (temporary extension) passport which is good for a year but you have to prove or convince the Consul that it is an emergency. You will be asked to write down the reason why you need an emergency passport. Or you can renew it and go through the process.

The US Embassy or Consulate has to approve the issuance of an emergency passport and you will get a temporary passport the same day or the next day. It would be advisable to bring a copy of your flight reservation if you are flying out for an emergency or you can’t wait for the renewal process. It is still at the discretion of the American Consul.

Once you get back into the US, you can renew the emergency passport before it expires that year – for free. The fee you paid for the emergency passport will be credited towards an actual (renewal) passport. If you pass the one year validity of the temporary passport, then you will have to pay for a regular renewal. You will no longer get credit from the temporary passport payment.

Here are the instructions from the US Embassy in Manila. Please follow it step by step. There are no shortcuts. It is just a process and no, it’s not Burger King where you get it the way you want it. Also, you can click on the source below for other instructions such as first passport application for under 16 and over 16 years old or adults, renewing a child passport under 16, renewing for the first time as an adult, correcting or changing information on your passport, adding pages, lost, stolen, or damaged passport, and a passport that expired over 5 years ago. I only had experience renewing it.

Step 1:

  • Fill out electronically and print the DS-82 Application for a U.S. Passport wizard form.  If you experience trouble with this Passport Application Wizard, click here for Form DS-82 (PDF format).  To view PDF files, you need a PDF reader such as Adobe Acrobat.  Get a free download from the Adobe website.
  • Fill out and print  (PDF Format). You may also complete the form electronically by using the Passport Application Wizard by clicking here.  To view PDF files, you need a PDF reader such as Adobe Acrobat.  Get a free download from the Adobe website.
  • Check that you have read the Privacy and Computer Fraud and Abuse Acts Notices and Disclaims and click submit.
  • Print out the DS-82 form upon completion.  Make sure to include a valid email on the form.
  • Please note that some instructions and options on the form are only applicable in the United States.

Step 2:
Mail your documents to the embassy at the following mailing address: Citizenship and Passport Unit, American Citizens Services, Consular Section, U.S. Embassy, 1201 Roxas Boulevard, 1000 Manila.  Do not make an online appointment for this service. Strictly Mail only and no walk in. You may also use our contracted courier by calling (02) 879-4747  to have Air21 courier pick-up the documents and  deliver them to the Embassy.  Note: If you send it via Air21 courier, the one-time courier fee covers the two way service: pick-up of documents and delivery of the completed passport.

Please include the following:

Once your documents are received, the Embassy will notify you through email for the instructions on when to come to the Embassy to pay the application fee as well as to arrange for delivery of the passport with the Embassy’s contracter courier, Air21 courier (for mailed-in applications). Alternatively, you may send a representative to pay the application fee on your behalf.  Please bring:

  • $135 in cash (U.S. dollars or Philippine pesos equivalent) or credit card
  • A printout of the email notification sent to you by the Embassy

Step 4:

Once payment has been made and application has been approved, passport will be processed and delivered within 2-3 weeks. The expired U.S. passport (duly cancelled by the Embassy) will be delivered together with the new U.S. passport.

170 Comments on Renewing a US or American Passport in the Philippines

  1. Jerlyn sanior // July 15, 2015 at 10:11 am // Reply

    My niece is already living in the us..for5 yrs now..she got married last dec and now they are planning to takr a vacation here in the philippines. She already booked a ticket for 2.. this 31st of august up to 16th of september. But unfortunately she didnt’t notice that her passport will be expired on jan 4 2016. And we were told na nay ruling na ang dfa na passport should be valid at least 6 months.

    What should we do po. I already filed an appointment in dfa philippines for her passport renewal. But sadly speaking she doesnt any philippine issued identification cards. All she have is drivers license..milotary card and green card in the us.

    Thank you. We reallly need a advice. I guess we’re really running out of time.

  2. Irving Mills Bardin // July 14, 2015 at 2:18 am // Reply

    I flew to cebu to renew passport May14 & paid etc& they said it would be mailed to me in Mindanao in 5 weeks. Still not received.They said nothing about watching for e-mails or Air 21. Is this normal ? Unable to reach a persom at consulate by phone

  3. Marisol C. Masiclat // July 5, 2015 at 12:13 am // Reply

    I’m 16 yr old and older and first time renewing my US passport. How can I have my renewed passport be delivered in my place in Medina, Mis. Or. when there’s no Air21 office in town, the closest place in Cagayan de Oro. Can I use the Air21 POD service at CDO? Pls, let me know. Thank you.

  4. Alicia Hipolito // June 15, 2015 at 9:07 am // Reply

    Hello po greetings I read the procedure of how to pay for passport renewal. I need my existing passport to fly to Phil next week June 24. Will leave July 17 for Singapore. I am coming back to Phil from Singapore on July 21. Will coordinate with air21 ASAP to deliver my documents to US embassy. I also learned from the Passport Office in my place today to request for expeditious fee rate as shown in Dept of Stste information given to me which I would like to go about. How long is the appointment wait from US embassy if delivery from Air21 is dated July 22 ? I worry because I have a flight Schedule on Aug 18 for an Aug 20 cruise. My passport is missing 15 days to meet the 6 month passport International validation . My passport exp 2/05/2016. Didn’t learn about the shortage in days until all cruise bookings were paid n I started filling document information in the cruise registration online. Is there possibility my renewed passport be provided to me prior to Aug 17? We retired and would like to fulfill this dream after all years of working . Thank u.

  5. My daughter is a US citizen and we have to travel back home for a business conference. We already have the tickets for July 9th but her passport expires Aug 18th. Would we be able to apply for the emergency passport since we need to leave very soon and will need to come back to Manila within 2 weeks of arriving in US? Would this be considered an emergency since we have literally no time to renew in between the trips?

  6. nirechele // June 9, 2015 at 2:50 am // Reply

    hello! i need to ask, renewing for a us passport for a special child 16yrs old, does he need to be accompanied by both parents?i read online that if both parents cannot accompany the child, a notarized consent of the absent parent is needed. btw, he is carrying his mothers maiden name but he is acknowledge by his biological father in his birth certificate.

  7. More than 10 years na po na expired ung US passport ko. What should I do?

  8. hi ask ko lang kasi yung mga kapatid ko is us citizen and never pa sila naka travel abroad and ask ko lang meron po bang penalty for renewing the passports kasi year 2000 pa na issue ang passport?thanks…

  9. expired napo ang passport ng parents kolast may 13,2015. saan po ba pwedeng mafill-up on line ang DS-82 form ksi hindi po ako makapag fill-up electronically iyon ksi ang requirements nyo.PDF daw po ksi.thanks po

  10. My kids us passport expires in a month…I’m in Baybay city Leyte. Can I renew their us passports in the US Consulate in Cebu since its closest to me?

    • Also to add my kids are 11 & 12 years old.. Can I just do a walk in because I’m leaving at the end of May and all appointments in US Embassy manila is booked..that’s why I want to go to Cebu if possible

      • Yes. Pwede nimo ma download ang forms, fill-upan nimo and then adto lang sa US Consulate sa Cebu. Diha man nako na gipa-renew akong US passport. Ipadala lang nila sa Air21 kung human na ang passport. Bayad lang ka sa shipping fee. Salamat and greetings to Baybay. Naka-anha na ko sa una labi na sa Visca. It’s nice place.

      • SULATORIO,ZENETH // May 29, 2015 at 7:24 am //

        I’m confused now..after gathering all the requirements and printing this application form.Do I need to send this by mail to embassy then wait for their email?I thought after filling up the form electronically,I can set an appoinment then bring the appoinment form together with the documents.Pls.correct me..Tnx

1 6 7 8 9 10

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.