Renewing a US or American Passport in the Philippines

Renewing a US or American Passport in the Philippines

REMINDER:  Just because a passport is expired it doesn’t mean that you are no longer a U.S. citizen. That’s not true. You still have the same rights and privilege as a U.S, Citizen. This means you can go to the U.S. Embassy any time you want – during operating hours, of course, and receive the same service as you’d expect when your passport is valid. Your passport is just expired and just needs to be renewed. You can call in for information or go there and ask. That’s what they are there for.

You can renew your US or American passport in the Philippines either at the US Consulate in Cebu or at the US Embassy in Manila.

If you are closer to Manila, then renew your US or American passport at the American Embassy in Manila. To renew it in Manila, you need an email address. You mail your renewal application together with the (2 each) 2×2 ID photo and the old passport. Once they receive your application, the US Embassy will email you instructions when to come to the US Embassy to pay for your passport renewal. Rates change so please check the current price or for more up to date information click here.

On your appointment date to pay, it is best to stop across the street of the US Embassy and use the overpass walk bridge to go to the Embassy. You don’t have to fall in line outside the US Embassy on Roxas Blvd. There is a special line for US citizens and you go through that entrance. You will see a longer line outside but that’s for people applying for  a visa – visitor, fiance, spousal, work, etc. You do not go on that line. You will also encounter people outside the embassy asking you to have your cellphone secured with them – you don’t need to that because you are a US citizen. The guards in the US Citizen Services door/entrance will take your cellphone and/or other valuables to secure it while you are taking care of your business inside the Embassy. There are no cellphones or picture taking allowed inside the US Embassy building for security reasons.

Once inside the Embassy, you will be given a number so you have to wait until called. First, you will wait outside, then you go to the 2nd floor and wait. Make sure you have the money on hand – either in pesos or dollar. You will also pay for the mailing of your passport in advance. After you’ve (or your designated representative) made your payment, then you wait until the Embassy completes the renewal process. It usually takes 2-3 weeks for the renewal process to get done. You will not get your passport that day.

If you are in the Visayas or Mindanao, you can renew or file for lost US or American passport at the Philippine Consulate in Cebu. You don’t have to go to Manila. The US Consulate in Cebu is only open in the morning. You go to the US Consulate in Cebu located below the Waterfront Hotel in Lahug. The guard will give you a number at the door and you go in when your number is called. Once you’re inside the Consulate, your number will be called again and that will be the time that you either fill out or give your application, together with the (2 each) 2×2 ID photo and the old passport.

Passport renewals through the US Consulate in Cebu will take 3-4 weeks contrary to the Manila processing time because of the mailing time to Manila. You pay for the passport renewal on the spot and also need to make a note that you want the passport mailed to your address. This note will notify the US Embassy in Manila to mail your passport to you – collect, through Air21. Once your passport is renewed, the US Embassy will send your new and old passport to you through Air21. During the Air21  delivery of your new American passport, the courier will ask you for a cash payment. This will cover the  mailing (P91.00 as of Dec 2012).

US Passport renewal in the Philippines

US Passport renewal in the Philippines

Expired US or American Passport while in the Philippines

You may run into an expiring US or American passport while in the Philippines. No worries, you can renew it while in the Philippines. You can also ask for an emergency (temporary extension) passport which is good for a year but you have to prove or convince the Consul that it is an emergency. You will be asked to write down the reason why you need an emergency passport. Or you can renew it and go through the process.

The US Embassy or Consulate has to approve the issuance of an emergency passport and you will get a temporary passport the same day or the next day. It would be advisable to bring a copy of your flight reservation if you are flying out for an emergency or you can’t wait for the renewal process. It is still at the discretion of the American Consul.

Once you get back into the US, you can renew the emergency passport before it expires that year – for free. The fee you paid for the emergency passport will be credited towards an actual (renewal) passport. If you pass the one year validity of the temporary passport, then you will have to pay for a regular renewal. You will no longer get credit from the temporary passport payment.

Here are the instructions from the US Embassy in Manila. Please follow it step by step. There are no shortcuts. It is just a process and no, it’s not Burger King where you get it the way you want it. Also, you can click on the source below for other instructions such as first passport application for under 16 and over 16 years old or adults, renewing a child passport under 16, renewing for the first time as an adult, correcting or changing information on your passport, adding pages, lost, stolen, or damaged passport, and a passport that expired over 5 years ago. I only had experience renewing it.

Step 1:

  • Fill out electronically and print the DS-82 Application for a U.S. Passport wizard form.  If you experience trouble with this Passport Application Wizard, click here for Form DS-82 (PDF format).  To view PDF files, you need a PDF reader such as Adobe Acrobat.  Get a free download from the Adobe website.
  • Fill out and print  (PDF Format). You may also complete the form electronically by using the Passport Application Wizard by clicking here.  To view PDF files, you need a PDF reader such as Adobe Acrobat.  Get a free download from the Adobe website.
  • Check that you have read the Privacy and Computer Fraud and Abuse Acts Notices and Disclaims and click submit.
  • Print out the DS-82 form upon completion.  Make sure to include a valid email on the form.
  • Please note that some instructions and options on the form are only applicable in the United States.

Step 2:
Mail your documents to the embassy at the following mailing address: Citizenship and Passport Unit, American Citizens Services, Consular Section, U.S. Embassy, 1201 Roxas Boulevard, 1000 Manila.  Do not make an online appointment for this service. Strictly Mail only and no walk in. You may also use our contracted courier by calling (02) 879-4747  to have Air21 courier pick-up the documents and  deliver them to the Embassy.  Note: If you send it via Air21 courier, the one-time courier fee covers the two way service: pick-up of documents and delivery of the completed passport.

Please include the following:

Once your documents are received, the Embassy will notify you through email for the instructions on when to come to the Embassy to pay the application fee as well as to arrange for delivery of the passport with the Embassy’s contracter courier, Air21 courier (for mailed-in applications). Alternatively, you may send a representative to pay the application fee on your behalf.  Please bring:

  • $135 in cash (U.S. dollars or Philippine pesos equivalent) or credit card
  • A printout of the email notification sent to you by the Embassy

Step 4:

Once payment has been made and application has been approved, passport will be processed and delivered within 2-3 weeks. The expired U.S. passport (duly cancelled by the Embassy) will be delivered together with the new U.S. passport.

170 Comments on Renewing a US or American Passport in the Philippines

  1. Hi! How can we expedite my minor (below 16 years of age) child’s US passport renewal in the Philipines, Would it be possible to get it within a week?

    • It has to be an emergency and it will be approved on a case by case basis by the American Consul. Emergency is defined by the Consul and not your emergency. Sorry.

  2. Alta Guiking // March 17, 2015 at 2:57 pm // Reply

    Greetings! Is it true that when an American citizen whose passport has expired for years in the Philippines, can no longer renew hos/her passport and go back to the US as soon as he/she turns 18?

    • It’s not true. You, as an American Citizen DO NOT LOSE your citizenship unless you renounce it. This means, you only lose your American citizenship if you officially renounce it.

      You can always renew your American passport anytime. Just because a passport is expired, it does not mean you are not a citizen anymore. The passport may have expired and you have to renew it at any time you wish. If you were a child then but when you renew it when you are 18, you can still renew it. You just need more documentation and paperwork. That’s all. All that information is on the US Embassy’s website on how to do it.

  3. I was informed if it is true, for renewing of child passport, do I need to get an appointment first before I go to Manila US Embassy? If so could you email me the email address for child passport renewal appointment. Thanks

    • You may need to because you have to bring a lot of pictures and documents to prove that you are who you are growing up.

      Please check the US Embassy’s website for the process to renew it.

  4. Marita Martinez // March 7, 2015 at 5:35 am // Reply

    Hi! My mom-in-law will renew her expired US passport here in the Philippines, since she already stays in Phils. She is a Dual (Filipino US Citizen). In the application for US Passport renewal, what address she has to use, her US address or Philippine address? Thank you so much.

  5. Hello, good day. I want to renew the American passport of my 6 year o.d daugther. My question is can I call the U.S Embassy for an appointment? If yes, may I know the tel no? Thanks.

    • Hi Leila,

      Their phone number is online. The steps are describe on the US Embassy website.

      Salamat for inquiring on Webmaster

  6. My dughter was born in 1994 at Garfield hospital in Los Angeles. She was given a blue passport bearing a picture at age1-2 years old. We went home in 1997 and since then, we, the parents were unable to update or renew her passport. Currently, my daughter is already 21 years of age and wants to to to the US. Please guide me as to how to go about the process of renewing her US Blue passport. Please provide me, as well, as to how much it will cost and how long the process be. Many thanks and we appreciate your good works in helping thousands of Filipinos. Mabuhay!

  7. my mother is 83 years old.She is an american citizen with passport to be renewed.I understand that the nearest place to renew is in Cebu since we are from Cagayan de Oro City, mindanao. Due to her physical incapacity due to old age, can she renewed her passport by mail thru Air21?

    I am looking forward for your response.\
    thank you very much.

    • Hi Danny,

      Just checking to see if your mom has already renewed her passport.

      Salamat for inquiring on Webmaster

  8. mary jane elvas // January 13, 2015 at 11:22 am // Reply

    hi gud pm just asking if you will recognized proxy marriage

    • Proxy Marriage ??? Ano ba yan?

      That is not legal from what I know.

      Salamat for inquiring on Webmaster

  9. Elizabeth Gil // January 9, 2015 at 5:03 pm // Reply


    Is is posible to renew my son’s US passport(expires in March 2015) in Cebu even we are here in Manila? We will be spending our summer vacation there as well. Where can I get an application form also? My other son’s passport will also expire this July 2015, can I also renew it at the same time with my 1st born?
    Thank you & God bless!

    • I think you can have it mailed to Cebu.

      All renewals are processed by US Embassy Manila regardless if you went to Manila or Cebu.

      Salamat for inquiring on Webmaster

  10. Almira Galimba // January 8, 2015 at 12:05 am // Reply

    Hi,my father in law wants to renew his passport earlier than it’s expiry date..his passport will expire March 2015,can he renew it now?

1 4 5 6 7 8 10

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.