Renewing a US or American Passport in the Philippines

Renewing a US or American Passport in the Philippines

REMINDER:  Just because a passport is expired it doesn’t mean that you are no longer a U.S. citizen. That’s not true. You still have the same rights and privilege as a U.S, Citizen. This means you can go to the U.S. Embassy any time you want – during operating hours, of course, and receive the same service as you’d expect when your passport is valid. Your passport is just expired and just needs to be renewed. You can call in for information or go there and ask. That’s what they are there for.

You can renew your US or American passport in the Philippines either at the US Consulate in Cebu or at the US Embassy in Manila.

If you are closer to Manila, then renew your US or American passport at the American Embassy in Manila. To renew it in Manila, you need an email address. You mail your renewal application together with the (2 each) 2×2 ID photo and the old passport. Once they receive your application, the US Embassy will email you instructions when to come to the US Embassy to pay for your passport renewal. Rates change so please check the current price or for more up to date information click here.

On your appointment date to pay, it is best to stop across the street of the US Embassy and use the overpass walk bridge to go to the Embassy. You don’t have to fall in line outside the US Embassy on Roxas Blvd. There is a special line for US citizens and you go through that entrance. You will see a longer line outside but that’s for people applying for  a visa – visitor, fiance, spousal, work, etc. You do not go on that line. You will also encounter people outside the embassy asking you to have your cellphone secured with them – you don’t need to that because you are a US citizen. The guards in the US Citizen Services door/entrance will take your cellphone and/or other valuables to secure it while you are taking care of your business inside the Embassy. There are no cellphones or picture taking allowed inside the US Embassy building for security reasons.

Once inside the Embassy, you will be given a number so you have to wait until called. First, you will wait outside, then you go to the 2nd floor and wait. Make sure you have the money on hand – either in pesos or dollar. You will also pay for the mailing of your passport in advance. After you’ve (or your designated representative) made your payment, then you wait until the Embassy completes the renewal process. It usually takes 2-3 weeks for the renewal process to get done. You will not get your passport that day.

If you are in the Visayas or Mindanao, you can renew or file for lost US or American passport at the Philippine Consulate in Cebu. You don’t have to go to Manila. The US Consulate in Cebu is only open in the morning. You go to the US Consulate in Cebu located below the Waterfront Hotel in Lahug. The guard will give you a number at the door and you go in when your number is called. Once you’re inside the Consulate, your number will be called again and that will be the time that you either fill out or give your application, together with the (2 each) 2×2 ID photo and the old passport.

Passport renewals through the US Consulate in Cebu will take 3-4 weeks contrary to the Manila processing time because of the mailing time to Manila. You pay for the passport renewal on the spot and also need to make a note that you want the passport mailed to your address. This note will notify the US Embassy in Manila to mail your passport to you – collect, through Air21. Once your passport is renewed, the US Embassy will send your new and old passport to you through Air21. During the Air21  delivery of your new American passport, the courier will ask you for a cash payment. This will cover the  mailing (P91.00 as of Dec 2012).

US Passport renewal in the Philippines

US Passport renewal in the Philippines

Expired US or American Passport while in the Philippines

You may run into an expiring US or American passport while in the Philippines. No worries, you can renew it while in the Philippines. You can also ask for an emergency (temporary extension) passport which is good for a year but you have to prove or convince the Consul that it is an emergency. You will be asked to write down the reason why you need an emergency passport. Or you can renew it and go through the process.

The US Embassy or Consulate has to approve the issuance of an emergency passport and you will get a temporary passport the same day or the next day. It would be advisable to bring a copy of your flight reservation if you are flying out for an emergency or you can’t wait for the renewal process. It is still at the discretion of the American Consul.

Once you get back into the US, you can renew the emergency passport before it expires that year – for free. The fee you paid for the emergency passport will be credited towards an actual (renewal) passport. If you pass the one year validity of the temporary passport, then you will have to pay for a regular renewal. You will no longer get credit from the temporary passport payment.

Here are the instructions from the US Embassy in Manila. Please follow it step by step. There are no shortcuts. It is just a process and no, it’s not Burger King where you get it the way you want it. Also, you can click on the source below for other instructions such as first passport application for under 16 and over 16 years old or adults, renewing a child passport under 16, renewing for the first time as an adult, correcting or changing information on your passport, adding pages, lost, stolen, or damaged passport, and a passport that expired over 5 years ago. I only had experience renewing it.

Step 1:

  • Fill out electronically and print the DS-82 Application for a U.S. Passport wizard form.  If you experience trouble with this Passport Application Wizard, click here for Form DS-82 (PDF format).  To view PDF files, you need a PDF reader such as Adobe Acrobat.  Get a free download from the Adobe website.
  • Fill out and print  (PDF Format). You may also complete the form electronically by using the Passport Application Wizard by clicking here.  To view PDF files, you need a PDF reader such as Adobe Acrobat.  Get a free download from the Adobe website.
  • Check that you have read the Privacy and Computer Fraud and Abuse Acts Notices and Disclaims and click submit.
  • Print out the DS-82 form upon completion.  Make sure to include a valid email on the form.
  • Please note that some instructions and options on the form are only applicable in the United States.

Step 2:
Mail your documents to the embassy at the following mailing address: Citizenship and Passport Unit, American Citizens Services, Consular Section, U.S. Embassy, 1201 Roxas Boulevard, 1000 Manila.  Do not make an online appointment for this service. Strictly Mail only and no walk in. You may also use our contracted courier by calling (02) 879-4747  to have Air21 courier pick-up the documents and  deliver them to the Embassy.  Note: If you send it via Air21 courier, the one-time courier fee covers the two way service: pick-up of documents and delivery of the completed passport.

Please include the following:

Once your documents are received, the Embassy will notify you through email for the instructions on when to come to the Embassy to pay the application fee as well as to arrange for delivery of the passport with the Embassy’s contracter courier, Air21 courier (for mailed-in applications). Alternatively, you may send a representative to pay the application fee on your behalf.  Please bring:

  • $135 in cash (U.S. dollars or Philippine pesos equivalent) or credit card
  • A printout of the email notification sent to you by the Embassy

Step 4:

Once payment has been made and application has been approved, passport will be processed and delivered within 2-3 weeks. The expired U.S. passport (duly cancelled by the Embassy) will be delivered together with the new U.S. passport.

170 Comments on Renewing a US or American Passport in the Philippines

  1. Edna Bagang // July 11, 2014 at 1:14 pm // Reply

    Hi! I have a couple of sons that were both born in Guam. I took them to the Philippines with me and their passports have gone expired 9 years ago. We went to the US Embassy in Manila to get them renewed but they were asking me some pictures of them growing up. I could not provide them since they were destroyed by the typhoon back in Guam. They are now 18 and 16 years old. They told me to come back in a month. What should I do?

  2. Hello, My brother is turning 20 this year and we haven’t renew his us passport since it expired 10 years ago. His living in the philippines now. After unfortunate events we lost his report of live birth document, could we still renew his us passport without it? He was born on Saipan, Marianas Island.
    We still has his Birth certificate, social security number and old us passport.
    Any advise will be happily accepted.

  3. Edna Bagang // July 10, 2014 at 4:20 pm // Reply

    Hello! I brought my 2 sons here in the Philippines and they were both born in Guam. Their passports have expired 9 yrs. ago. They are now 18 and 16 years old. We went to the embassy to renew their passports but they were asking for pictures of them growing up which we could not provide since all were destroyed by typhoon. They told us to come back next month. What should we do? Thank you.

  4. A Big thanks for ur info Admin.

    • QUEENIE ELLEN A. BARRIDO // February 19, 2015 at 2:09 am // Reply

      Hi,My father is a US citizen and went home for retirement last 2008 and did not come back in the US until now. He wants to go back this year ,his passport will expired sometime in September. Over staying ba sia at ano ang mga legalities na gagawin he is 70 years old.thank you

      • He should apply for dual citizenship sa Philippine Embassy or Consulate serving your state.

        Once makuha na nya yung dual citizenship nya, he can go back and stay for however long he wants.

        If he is in the Philippines now and he stayed longer than 1 year (or whatever the current authorized balikbayan length of stay is), then he may need to pay the overstay fees.

        Salamat for inquiring on Webmaster

  5. hi. I’m still waiting for my citizenship in US but I’m still waiting for my green card. i wanted to visit Ph next year. can i still re-new my PH passport even though I’m waiting for my citizenship?

    • Gelli,

      You need a green card first before you get to be a US Citizen. I’m assuming na andito ka on F visa and on temporary green card. You can still go home anytime but you have to apply for a Advance Parole. If approved, then you can go home. Now, you have to be aware na with the Advance Parole, your 2-year requirement will be affected kasi umalis ka. So, yung time na umalis ka ma-deduct yun sa 2 years mo. Example, kung umalis ka ng isang buwan, then i-add nila yun sa 2-year requirement mo. This means, instead na you get your permanent green card in 2 years, hindi mo makuha yun in 2 years and 1 month.

      You can renew your Philippine passport anytime. It does not affect your US citizenship. Malayo pa yun. You have to be here for 5 years before you can apply for US Citizenship.

      Maraming Salamat.

      Admin ng

  6. Lhaine Ballano // June 17, 2014 at 10:45 pm // Reply

    Hi Admin ask ko lang if true n at d age 21 n ung bata at hindi naka alis ng bansa mwawala n ung pagka US citizen nya.ipinanganak ko sya sa Saipan then nung 3months inuwi kona xa sa pinas until now hes turning 20 dp xa uli nakalabas ng hanggang ngayun dko p din na renew pasport nya may conflict ba un? Salamat.

  7. Do you by any chance now the total cost for renewing an american passport? most especially since I live in davao..

  8. June G. Santos // June 4, 2014 at 7:38 am // Reply

    Thanks for your help. My son got his passport delivered last week.

  9. Regina Chavez // May 28, 2014 at 12:57 pm // Reply

    Hi, my son is a US citizen because i gave birth there, but we’re both filipinos. He isnow 5yrs old and will renew his visa here in US Embassy manila. Would you have any idea of any questions the US embassy would ask the parents about in connection with my minor son’s US passport renewal? Thank you very much.

  10. Sheila Nelvis // May 4, 2014 at 8:54 am // Reply

    Hi!!I just need some help on how I can renew my daughter’s US passport. If ever this will be the second time that she will be renewing her passport here in the Philippines but only the last time her father was here to renewed it for her. My daughter just turned 12 and her passport will expire by March of 2015 but as early as now I just want to know the details of how I can renew it since I’m not a withholding of an American passport. Last time we had an appearance at the US Embassy, would it still be the same??? Please do advice me on what or how, and all the necessary documents I need to prepare as I renew he passport. Thanks a lot.. Have good day!!

1 2 3 4 5 6 10

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.