Renewing a US or American Passport in the Philippines

Renewing a US or American Passport in the Philippines

REMINDER:  Just because a passport is expired it doesn’t mean that you are no longer a U.S. citizen. That’s not true. You still have the same rights and privilege as a U.S, Citizen. This means you can go to the U.S. Embassy any time you want – during operating hours, of course, and receive the same service as you’d expect when your passport is valid. Your passport is just expired and just needs to be renewed. You can call in for information or go there and ask. That’s what they are there for.

You can renew your US or American passport in the Philippines either at the US Consulate in Cebu or at the US Embassy in Manila.

If you are closer to Manila, then renew your US or American passport at the American Embassy in Manila. To renew it in Manila, you need an email address. You mail your renewal application together with the (2 each) 2×2 ID photo and the old passport. Once they receive your application, the US Embassy will email you instructions when to come to the US Embassy to pay for your passport renewal. Rates change so please check the current price or for more up to date information click here.

On your appointment date to pay, it is best to stop across the street of the US Embassy and use the overpass walk bridge to go to the Embassy. You don’t have to fall in line outside the US Embassy on Roxas Blvd. There is a special line for US citizens and you go through that entrance. You will see a longer line outside but that’s for people applying for  a visa – visitor, fiance, spousal, work, etc. You do not go on that line. You will also encounter people outside the embassy asking you to have your cellphone secured with them – you don’t need to that because you are a US citizen. The guards in the US Citizen Services door/entrance will take your cellphone and/or other valuables to secure it while you are taking care of your business inside the Embassy. There are no cellphones or picture taking allowed inside the US Embassy building for security reasons.

Once inside the Embassy, you will be given a number so you have to wait until called. First, you will wait outside, then you go to the 2nd floor and wait. Make sure you have the money on hand – either in pesos or dollar. You will also pay for the mailing of your passport in advance. After you’ve (or your designated representative) made your payment, then you wait until the Embassy completes the renewal process. It usually takes 2-3 weeks for the renewal process to get done. You will not get your passport that day.

If you are in the Visayas or Mindanao, you can renew or file for lost US or American passport at the Philippine Consulate in Cebu. You don’t have to go to Manila. The US Consulate in Cebu is only open in the morning. You go to the US Consulate in Cebu located below the Waterfront Hotel in Lahug. The guard will give you a number at the door and you go in when your number is called. Once you’re inside the Consulate, your number will be called again and that will be the time that you either fill out or give your application, together with the (2 each) 2×2 ID photo and the old passport.

Passport renewals through the US Consulate in Cebu will take 3-4 weeks contrary to the Manila processing time because of the mailing time to Manila. You pay for the passport renewal on the spot and also need to make a note that you want the passport mailed to your address. This note will notify the US Embassy in Manila to mail your passport to you – collect, through Air21. Once your passport is renewed, the US Embassy will send your new and old passport to you through Air21. During the Air21  delivery of your new American passport, the courier will ask you for a cash payment. This will cover the  mailing (P91.00 as of Dec 2012).

US Passport renewal in the Philippines

US Passport renewal in the Philippines

Expired US or American Passport while in the Philippines

You may run into an expiring US or American passport while in the Philippines. No worries, you can renew it while in the Philippines. You can also ask for an emergency (temporary extension) passport which is good for a year but you have to prove or convince the Consul that it is an emergency. You will be asked to write down the reason why you need an emergency passport. Or you can renew it and go through the process.

The US Embassy or Consulate has to approve the issuance of an emergency passport and you will get a temporary passport the same day or the next day. It would be advisable to bring a copy of your flight reservation if you are flying out for an emergency or you can’t wait for the renewal process. It is still at the discretion of the American Consul.

Once you get back into the US, you can renew the emergency passport before it expires that year – for free. The fee you paid for the emergency passport will be credited towards an actual (renewal) passport. If you pass the one year validity of the temporary passport, then you will have to pay for a regular renewal. You will no longer get credit from the temporary passport payment.

Here are the instructions from the US Embassy in Manila. Please follow it step by step. There are no shortcuts. It is just a process and no, it’s not Burger King where you get it the way you want it. Also, you can click on the source below for other instructions such as first passport application for under 16 and over 16 years old or adults, renewing a child passport under 16, renewing for the first time as an adult, correcting or changing information on your passport, adding pages, lost, stolen, or damaged passport, and a passport that expired over 5 years ago. I only had experience renewing it.

Step 1:

  • Fill out electronically and print the DS-82 Application for a U.S. Passport wizard form.  If you experience trouble with this Passport Application Wizard, click here for Form DS-82 (PDF format).  To view PDF files, you need a PDF reader such as Adobe Acrobat.  Get a free download from the Adobe website.
  • Fill out and print  (PDF Format). You may also complete the form electronically by using the Passport Application Wizard by clicking here.  To view PDF files, you need a PDF reader such as Adobe Acrobat.  Get a free download from the Adobe website.
  • Check that you have read the Privacy and Computer Fraud and Abuse Acts Notices and Disclaims and click submit.
  • Print out the DS-82 form upon completion.  Make sure to include a valid email on the form.
  • Please note that some instructions and options on the form are only applicable in the United States.

Step 2:
Mail your documents to the embassy at the following mailing address: Citizenship and Passport Unit, American Citizens Services, Consular Section, U.S. Embassy, 1201 Roxas Boulevard, 1000 Manila.  Do not make an online appointment for this service. Strictly Mail only and no walk in. You may also use our contracted courier by calling (02) 879-4747  to have Air21 courier pick-up the documents and  deliver them to the Embassy.  Note: If you send it via Air21 courier, the one-time courier fee covers the two way service: pick-up of documents and delivery of the completed passport.

Please include the following:

Once your documents are received, the Embassy will notify you through email for the instructions on when to come to the Embassy to pay the application fee as well as to arrange for delivery of the passport with the Embassy’s contracter courier, Air21 courier (for mailed-in applications). Alternatively, you may send a representative to pay the application fee on your behalf.  Please bring:

  • $135 in cash (U.S. dollars or Philippine pesos equivalent) or credit card
  • A printout of the email notification sent to you by the Embassy

Step 4:

Once payment has been made and application has been approved, passport will be processed and delivered within 2-3 weeks. The expired U.S. passport (duly cancelled by the Embassy) will be delivered together with the new U.S. passport.

170 Comments on Renewing a US or American Passport in the Philippines

  1. June G. Santos // May 2, 2014 at 9:53 am // Reply

    My son po is 26 years old. He is turning 27 years old in December. The thing is he has never filed income tax in the U. S. because he has never worked there. But he’s paying taxes here in the Philippines and is presently working as a Banker at BPI since 2009.

  2. Hello, i have a child who has an american passport holder because i gave birth in the US. We will be going to her auntie in US this may. And her passport will expire on July 2014. She is only 4 years old. Can you guide me on how to do it. And do i have enough time because we intend to travel by may 25. Thank you

  3. June G. Santos // April 30, 2014 at 4:11 am // Reply

    Ask ko lang po if how to go about renewing a passport for my son, dual citizen and residing and working here in the Philippines. He has a social security number in the U. S. since birth and also filing ITR here in the Philippines. He has never worked in the U. S. though because when we moved here in the Philippines he was only 6 years old. Please advise.

  4. Hello Sir,

    Itatanong ko lang po. I really need help. I wanted to renew the expired passport for both my kids. Nong dinala ko po sila sa Pilipinas baby pa po sila tapes yong eldest ko po narwal po ng mommy ko ang passport nya. Andito po ako ngayon sa America at plano ko pong i-renew ang US passport nila paguwi ko po next year. Pwede ko po bang malaman anong gagawin ko at anong mga requirements kailangan para magrenew ng passport at for the lost passport ano po ang dapat kong gawin? My mom obtained Affidavit of Loss for the lost passport already. I heard that i need to get an appointment so I could apply for US passport. Pano ko po ito gawin na para mailagay ko sya mismong petsa ng paguwi ko sa Pilipinas? Please po I really need help. Thank you so much.

  5. Ask ku poh sa Saipan poh pinanganak ang 2 kids ko since 2000 inuwi ko na sila pero di ko pa napaparenew ang US passport nila dito sa US embassy Manila, age nila is 15 and 14, this year 2014 ipaparenew ko passport anu po mga requirements. Kami poh ng husband ko ay Filipino citizens nag wowork husband ko sa Saudi.

  6. dhaisee madrid // April 15, 2014 at 8:01 am // Reply

    Hi need ko pong parenew yong passport ng anak ko a d he is only 7 yrs old ang im not american citizenship holder can i go with him to renew his passport.papapasukin ba ako sa US embassy?

    • Hi Daisy,

      Of course papasukin ka nila. You are (one of) the parent. My question to you is, do you have sole custody of your child or if you don’t mind, please explain your situation. You can email me privately. I need this info so I can give you the best direction on the process.

      Maraming Salamat.

      Paul Admin

  7. Precilla Basiyo // April 14, 2014 at 10:37 am // Reply

    Hi sir, my son just turned 17 this April, a U.S. Citizen brought here since 8 months old. Now, planning to renew his passport, which we can’t before because it required both parents consent. My question is, will he be given a new U.S. passport even without paying his taxes the whole time he’s here in the Philippines? My son, only child, is with juvenile arthritis and needing medical attention badly, that’s why the need for our renewal. His dad, a Fil-Am, in the States is not doing anything about this. Don’t know where to start, and who to turn to in the embassy, so if by mentioning it here I’ll get help in anyway, I will be very very grateful. Can we proceed to applying for a new passport even with the taxes problem? Please tell me what steps to make, or direct me to the right people I need to talk to in the embassy. Thank you so much.

  8. Jenny Empleo // April 13, 2014 at 4:20 am // Reply

    Thank you so much for the fast reply. You mentioned that at least 1 parent has to be present to renew, but unfortunately, I’m in the US and can’t be there to do it so, I have my family and an agent doing it for with power of attorney. But according to my sister, it’ll cost about $1,900.00 dollars to do it. Is this even possible even including agents fees? Btw, this is just to renew an expired passport (2004), am I getting way over charged? Please help!!!

  9. Jenny Empleo // April 12, 2014 at 7:28 am // Reply

    My son who’s turning 18 this July, us citizen but residing and going to school in the Philippines, needs to needs to renew passport expired since 2004, just wondering how does it cost to renew his passport and dual citizen, his school won’t allow him back to attend without proper papers. I need to know how much does it cost to process all this? Please kindly reply ASAP. Thank you so much for your help and consideration.

  10. 7 years old npo anak ko. need ko pa po ba ipanotarize na nawala ung passport. my photocopy naman po ako nung passport nya na nawala. ano po mga need ko? salamat po.

1 2 3 4 5 10

Leave a Reply to admin Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published.