Renewing a US or American Passport in the Philippines

Renewing a US or American Passport in the Philippines

REMINDER:  Just because a passport is expired it doesn’t mean that you are no longer a U.S. citizen. That’s not true. You still have the same rights and privilege as a U.S, Citizen. This means you can go to the U.S. Embassy any time you want – during operating hours, of course, and receive the same service as you’d expect when your passport is valid. Your passport is just expired and just needs to be renewed. You can call in for information or go there and ask. That’s what they are there for.

You can renew your US or American passport in the Philippines either at the US Consulate in Cebu or at the US Embassy in Manila.

If you are closer to Manila, then renew your US or American passport at the American Embassy in Manila. To renew it in Manila, you need an email address. You mail your renewal application together with the (2 each) 2×2 ID photo and the old passport. Once they receive your application, the US Embassy will email you instructions when to come to the US Embassy to pay for your passport renewal. Rates change so please check the current price or for more up to date information click here.

On your appointment date to pay, it is best to stop across the street of the US Embassy and use the overpass walk bridge to go to the Embassy. You don’t have to fall in line outside the US Embassy on Roxas Blvd. There is a special line for US citizens and you go through that entrance. You will see a longer line outside but that’s for people applying for  a visa – visitor, fiance, spousal, work, etc. You do not go on that line. You will also encounter people outside the embassy asking you to have your cellphone secured with them – you don’t need to that because you are a US citizen. The guards in the US Citizen Services door/entrance will take your cellphone and/or other valuables to secure it while you are taking care of your business inside the Embassy. There are no cellphones or picture taking allowed inside the US Embassy building for security reasons.

Once inside the Embassy, you will be given a number so you have to wait until called. First, you will wait outside, then you go to the 2nd floor and wait. Make sure you have the money on hand – either in pesos or dollar. You will also pay for the mailing of your passport in advance. After you’ve (or your designated representative) made your payment, then you wait until the Embassy completes the renewal process. It usually takes 2-3 weeks for the renewal process to get done. You will not get your passport that day.

If you are in the Visayas or Mindanao, you can renew or file for lost US or American passport at the Philippine Consulate in Cebu. You don’t have to go to Manila. The US Consulate in Cebu is only open in the morning. You go to the US Consulate in Cebu located below the Waterfront Hotel in Lahug. The guard will give you a number at the door and you go in when your number is called. Once you’re inside the Consulate, your number will be called again and that will be the time that you either fill out or give your application, together with the (2 each) 2×2 ID photo and the old passport.

Passport renewals through the US Consulate in Cebu will take 3-4 weeks contrary to the Manila processing time because of the mailing time to Manila. You pay for the passport renewal on the spot and also need to make a note that you want the passport mailed to your address. This note will notify the US Embassy in Manila to mail your passport to you – collect, through Air21. Once your passport is renewed, the US Embassy will send your new and old passport to you through Air21. During the Air21  delivery of your new American passport, the courier will ask you for a cash payment. This will cover the  mailing (P91.00 as of Dec 2012).

US Passport renewal in the Philippines

US Passport renewal in the Philippines

Expired US or American Passport while in the Philippines

You may run into an expiring US or American passport while in the Philippines. No worries, you can renew it while in the Philippines. You can also ask for an emergency (temporary extension) passport which is good for a year but you have to prove or convince the Consul that it is an emergency. You will be asked to write down the reason why you need an emergency passport. Or you can renew it and go through the process.

The US Embassy or Consulate has to approve the issuance of an emergency passport and you will get a temporary passport the same day or the next day. It would be advisable to bring a copy of your flight reservation if you are flying out for an emergency or you can’t wait for the renewal process. It is still at the discretion of the American Consul.

Once you get back into the US, you can renew the emergency passport before it expires that year – for free. The fee you paid for the emergency passport will be credited towards an actual (renewal) passport. If you pass the one year validity of the temporary passport, then you will have to pay for a regular renewal. You will no longer get credit from the temporary passport payment.

Here are the instructions from the US Embassy in Manila. Please follow it step by step. There are no shortcuts. It is just a process and no, it’s not Burger King where you get it the way you want it. Also, you can click on the source below for other instructions such as first passport application for under 16 and over 16 years old or adults, renewing a child passport under 16, renewing for the first time as an adult, correcting or changing information on your passport, adding pages, lost, stolen, or damaged passport, and a passport that expired over 5 years ago. I only had experience renewing it.

Step 1:

  • Fill out electronically and print the DS-82 Application for a U.S. Passport wizard form.  If you experience trouble with this Passport Application Wizard, click here for Form DS-82 (PDF format).  To view PDF files, you need a PDF reader such as Adobe Acrobat.  Get a free download from the Adobe website.
  • Fill out and print  (PDF Format). You may also complete the form electronically by using the Passport Application Wizard by clicking here.  To view PDF files, you need a PDF reader such as Adobe Acrobat.  Get a free download from the Adobe website.
  • Check that you have read the Privacy and Computer Fraud and Abuse Acts Notices and Disclaims and click submit.
  • Print out the DS-82 form upon completion.  Make sure to include a valid email on the form.
  • Please note that some instructions and options on the form are only applicable in the United States.

Step 2:
Mail your documents to the embassy at the following mailing address: Citizenship and Passport Unit, American Citizens Services, Consular Section, U.S. Embassy, 1201 Roxas Boulevard, 1000 Manila.  Do not make an online appointment for this service. Strictly Mail only and no walk in. You may also use our contracted courier by calling (02) 879-4747  to have Air21 courier pick-up the documents and  deliver them to the Embassy.  Note: If you send it via Air21 courier, the one-time courier fee covers the two way service: pick-up of documents and delivery of the completed passport.

Please include the following:

Once your documents are received, the Embassy will notify you through email for the instructions on when to come to the Embassy to pay the application fee as well as to arrange for delivery of the passport with the Embassy’s contracter courier, Air21 courier (for mailed-in applications). Alternatively, you may send a representative to pay the application fee on your behalf.  Please bring:

  • $135 in cash (U.S. dollars or Philippine pesos equivalent) or credit card
  • A printout of the email notification sent to you by the Embassy

Step 4:

Once payment has been made and application has been approved, passport will be processed and delivered within 2-3 weeks. The expired U.S. passport (duly cancelled by the Embassy) will be delivered together with the new U.S. passport.

170 Comments on Renewing a US or American Passport in the Philippines

  1. admin.. pinanganak po ko sa saipan.. both parents ko po ay pilipino.. then ang b.certificate ko po ay us b.certificate at may us passport po ko.. 22years old na po ko. may pag asa pa po ang marenew passport ko? salamat po.

  2. Verna Sibal // April 3, 2014 at 1:33 am // Reply

    My Aunt staying here in Phil for 6 years and now wants to renew her american passport.What she must do?
    Hope to hear from you..Thanks

    • Hi Verna,

      Please follow the instructions on this link.

      Air21 is the official courier of the US Embassy in Manila.



    • Just another suggestion sa auntie mo, if she’s going to stay there longer, she needs to consider getting her Dual Citizenship. Why? So she does not have to pay the Overstay Fee sa Philippine Immigration. Any balikbayan with another country’s citizenship is only allowed 1 year stay sa Pilipinas for free, after that, she has to pay the Philippine Immigration for overstaying.

      Will she lose her US Citizenship when she becomes a Filipino Citizen again? NO. Most of us who became US Citizens were automatically considered aliens by the Philippine Government once we acquired another country’s naturalization. Basically, pinutol ni Philippines ang pagka-Pinoy natin once na-US citizen na kami. It is not the U.S. that gave us a choice, it’s the Philippine Government that did it.

      So, in 2003, (thank you to Senator Drilon) the RA 9225 Citizenship Retention and Reacquisition Act was approved. Basically, you can regain your Filipino Citizenship and enjoy the rights of the Filipino again in the Philippines. She has to apply for it sa BI and go through the process. Once she gets her Filipino Citizenship again, she can stay in the Philippines for as long as she wants without any Philippine Immigration penalties.

      Maraming Salamat.

      Paul Admin

  3. john razel romero // March 30, 2014 at 12:47 pm // Reply

    hello po .kasi ang lolo ko e u.s citezen..e need nya makaalis ng before april 24 2014 for emergency,,79yrs old na sya…ang problema expired na ung passport nya..expired na ng 2yrs…paano kaya ang pinakamabilis na proseso..pwede bang ako ang mag lakad nun..apo nya ako..tnx…asap

  4. Good pm po. 5 yrs old lang po ako nung kinuwanan aq ng passport ng tatay ko. Dual citizen po kami. Never pa po ako nakaalis ng Pilipinas. Magrerenew po sana ako ngayon pero humihinge.po ng SSN.. wala po ako nun.. ano po dpat kung gawin.. old passport and certifucate of birth abroad lang po meron ako

    • Hi Rina,

      Ilang taon ka na? Are you over 18 na? Just want to know kasi iba yung process sa over 18 and under 18. Also, I assume na US yung birth country mo?


  5. just to correct myself, PASSPORT po pala hindi VISA para sa unang post ko. sorry and thank you

  6. expired na po ung visa ng anak ko 2yrs ago, single parent ako/ walang father nakadeclare sa birth certificate ng anak.ko. ano po bang form ang ififill up namin? at kailangan pa po ba ng album ng bata para makita na sya tlga ung batang magrerenew ng passport kasi baby pa ung id syempre lumaki na ung bata. salamat, pakilagay nlang po sana lahat ng requirements. thankyou

  7. Wla nmn po ung name ng tatay nia sa birth certificate nya.. 1 month lng ako sa pinas pag uwi ko. Enough n po b yung time n yun? Or sbhin ko sa us embassy n emergency? ode b walk in or mag pa appointment p po kmi?

    • One Parent (with sole legal custody) MUST:

      Appear in person with the minor
      Sign Form DS-11 in front of a Consular Officer/Acceptance Agent

      Submit primary evidence of sole authority to apply for the child with one of the following:

      Minor’s certified U.S. or foreign birth certificate listing only the applying parent
      Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240) or Certification of Birth Abroad (Form DS-1350) listing only the applying parent
      Court order granting sole custody to the applying parent (unless child’s travel is restricted by that order)
      Adoption decree (if applying parents is sole adopting parent)
      Court order specifically permitting applying parent’s or guardian’s travel with the child
      Judicial declaration of incompetence of non-applying parent
      Death certificate of non-applying parent. If the death occured in the Philippines, please provide the NSO issued death certificate.

      NOTE: If none of the above documentation is available, the applying parent must submit Form DS-5525 (Statement of Exigent/Special Family Circumstances) stating why the non-applying parent/guardian’s consent cannot be obtained. The statement must explain in detail the non-applying parent’s or guardian’s unavailability and recent efforts made to contact the non-applying parent. The applying parent also may be required to provide evidence (e.g., custody order, incarceration order, restraining order) to document his/her claim of exigent or special circumstance.

      Please call the Embassy for more info:

  8. Hello. Tanong ko po kung pano ipa renew ung passport ng anak ko n nsa pilipinas ngaun.. us citizen po xa.. ma expire po ung passport nya nitong april 2014. Nand2 po ako sa u.s hawaii. Pde po bang mag pa picture nalng xa tas ipadala d2 sakin at ipa renew? O kaylangan po b na present po kmi parehas since under age xa? Please reply po.

  9. Hi po tanong ko lang po.. yung anak ko dito pinanganak sa u.s. tas inuwi ko jan sa pinas.. 5 years na xa nka stay jan at ung passport nya nsa akin at ma expire nitong april 2014. Panu ko irenew ung passport nya? Sa pilipinas ba pag uwi ko or pede rin d2 sa u.s khit wla xa d2.? Thank you po.

    • Underage yung anak mo and needs both parents need to be present during the renewal. If isa lang ang andun, then you have to give them an affidavit or statement na you are aware and authorize the passport renewal and they have to have it with them pagpunta nila sa US Embassy sa Maynila. Please read yung instructions sa US Embassy Manila website regarding passport renewals for underage child. Salamat po.

  10. Maricel Jumawan // January 27, 2014 at 12:30 am // Reply

    good am po taga Quezon city po ako ask ko lang po kong kailangan pa bang e renew US passport ng anak ko? kasi mag expired po sya ngayong oct 22 2014 .at ung picture nya po sa US passport nya 7 months old pa sya. ngayon po ay mag 6years old na po sya. at pwede po bang ako lang ang mag renew kasi yong husband ko nasa US po.pero paalis narin po kami ngayong april papuntang US sa california.please po need ko po ng reply.malaking tulong po sakin ito.

    • Same as previous answer but kailangan mo yung Statement of Consent sa asawa mo. Just have him Fedex it to you. Have him Notarize the statement indicating na he is aware of you renewing your son/daughter’s passport renewal. He can get it notarized from a bank or any authorized notary sa CA. You have to go to the US Embassy and be with your son with the necessary papers.

      Eto yung instructions. Just follow it step by step. You or both parents must be present. If only one, you need the Statement of Consent for the other parent. It is self-expalanatory. Dun ka babayad sa US Embassy. Follow this link. Salamat. – They will mail the passport to you once it is done. It will take 2-3 weeks for this process once na ma-submit mo. It’s usually earlier but they won’t promise.

1 2 3 4 10

Leave a Reply to admin Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published.