Renewing a US or American Passport in the Philippines

Renewing a US or American Passport in the Philippines

REMINDER:  Just because a passport is expired it doesn’t mean that you are no longer a U.S. citizen. That’s not true. You still have the same rights and privilege as a U.S, Citizen. This means you can go to the U.S. Embassy any time you want – during operating hours, of course, and receive the same service as you’d expect when your passport is valid. Your passport is just expired and just needs to be renewed. You can call in for information or go there and ask. That’s what they are there for.

You can renew your US or American passport in the Philippines either at the US Consulate in Cebu or at the US Embassy in Manila.

If you are closer to Manila, then renew your US or American passport at the American Embassy in Manila. To renew it in Manila, you need an email address. You mail your renewal application together with the (2 each) 2×2 ID photo and the old passport. Once they receive your application, the US Embassy will email you instructions when to come to the US Embassy to pay for your passport renewal. Rates change so please check the current price or for more up to date information click here.

On your appointment date to pay, it is best to stop across the street of the US Embassy and use the overpass walk bridge to go to the Embassy. You don’t have to fall in line outside the US Embassy on Roxas Blvd. There is a special line for US citizens and you go through that entrance. You will see a longer line outside but that’s for people applying for  a visa – visitor, fiance, spousal, work, etc. You do not go on that line. You will also encounter people outside the embassy asking you to have your cellphone secured with them – you don’t need to that because you are a US citizen. The guards in the US Citizen Services door/entrance will take your cellphone and/or other valuables to secure it while you are taking care of your business inside the Embassy. There are no cellphones or picture taking allowed inside the US Embassy building for security reasons.

Once inside the Embassy, you will be given a number so you have to wait until called. First, you will wait outside, then you go to the 2nd floor and wait. Make sure you have the money on hand – either in pesos or dollar. You will also pay for the mailing of your passport in advance. After you’ve (or your designated representative) made your payment, then you wait until the Embassy completes the renewal process. It usually takes 2-3 weeks for the renewal process to get done. You will not get your passport that day.

If you are in the Visayas or Mindanao, you can renew or file for lost US or American passport at the Philippine Consulate in Cebu. You don’t have to go to Manila. The US Consulate in Cebu is only open in the morning. You go to the US Consulate in Cebu located below the Waterfront Hotel in Lahug. The guard will give you a number at the door and you go in when your number is called. Once you’re inside the Consulate, your number will be called again and that will be the time that you either fill out or give your application, together with the (2 each) 2×2 ID photo and the old passport.

Passport renewals through the US Consulate in Cebu will take 3-4 weeks contrary to the Manila processing time because of the mailing time to Manila. You pay for the passport renewal on the spot and also need to make a note that you want the passport mailed to your address. This note will notify the US Embassy in Manila to mail your passport to you – collect, through Air21. Once your passport is renewed, the US Embassy will send your new and old passport to you through Air21. During the Air21  delivery of your new American passport, the courier will ask you for a cash payment. This will cover the  mailing (P91.00 as of Dec 2012).

US Passport renewal in the Philippines

US Passport renewal in the Philippines

Expired US or American Passport while in the Philippines

You may run into an expiring US or American passport while in the Philippines. No worries, you can renew it while in the Philippines. You can also ask for an emergency (temporary extension) passport which is good for a year but you have to prove or convince the Consul that it is an emergency. You will be asked to write down the reason why you need an emergency passport. Or you can renew it and go through the process.

The US Embassy or Consulate has to approve the issuance of an emergency passport and you will get a temporary passport the same day or the next day. It would be advisable to bring a copy of your flight reservation if you are flying out for an emergency or you can’t wait for the renewal process. It is still at the discretion of the American Consul.

Once you get back into the US, you can renew the emergency passport before it expires that year – for free. The fee you paid for the emergency passport will be credited towards an actual (renewal) passport. If you pass the one year validity of the temporary passport, then you will have to pay for a regular renewal. You will no longer get credit from the temporary passport payment.

Here are the instructions from the US Embassy in Manila. Please follow it step by step. There are no shortcuts. It is just a process and no, it’s not Burger King where you get it the way you want it. Also, you can click on the source below for other instructions such as first passport application for under 16 and over 16 years old or adults, renewing a child passport under 16, renewing for the first time as an adult, correcting or changing information on your passport, adding pages, lost, stolen, or damaged passport, and a passport that expired over 5 years ago. I only had experience renewing it.

Step 1:

  • Fill out electronically and print the DS-82 Application for a U.S. Passport wizard form.  If you experience trouble with this Passport Application Wizard, click here for Form DS-82 (PDF format).  To view PDF files, you need a PDF reader such as Adobe Acrobat.  Get a free download from the Adobe website.
  • Fill out and print  (PDF Format). You may also complete the form electronically by using the Passport Application Wizard by clicking here.  To view PDF files, you need a PDF reader such as Adobe Acrobat.  Get a free download from the Adobe website.
  • Check that you have read the Privacy and Computer Fraud and Abuse Acts Notices and Disclaims and click submit.
  • Print out the DS-82 form upon completion.  Make sure to include a valid email on the form.
  • Please note that some instructions and options on the form are only applicable in the United States.

Step 2:
Mail your documents to the embassy at the following mailing address: Citizenship and Passport Unit, American Citizens Services, Consular Section, U.S. Embassy, 1201 Roxas Boulevard, 1000 Manila.  Do not make an online appointment for this service. Strictly Mail only and no walk in. You may also use our contracted courier by calling (02) 879-4747  to have Air21 courier pick-up the documents and  deliver them to the Embassy.  Note: If you send it via Air21 courier, the one-time courier fee covers the two way service: pick-up of documents and delivery of the completed passport.

Please include the following:

Once your documents are received, the Embassy will notify you through email for the instructions on when to come to the Embassy to pay the application fee as well as to arrange for delivery of the passport with the Embassy’s contracter courier, Air21 courier (for mailed-in applications). Alternatively, you may send a representative to pay the application fee on your behalf.  Please bring:

  • $135 in cash (U.S. dollars or Philippine pesos equivalent) or credit card
  • A printout of the email notification sent to you by the Embassy

Step 4:

Once payment has been made and application has been approved, passport will be processed and delivered within 2-3 weeks. The expired U.S. passport (duly cancelled by the Embassy) will be delivered together with the new U.S. passport.

170 Comments on Renewing a US or American Passport in the Philippines

  1. Maricel Jumawan // January 27, 2014 at 12:17 am // Reply

    taga quezon city po ako sir.ask kolang po kong kailangan pa po bang e renew passport ng anak ko ??? aalis po kami ngayong april this year .pero mag expired na po passport nya ngayong oct 2014. at yong picture nya po sa US passport nya ay 7months old pa sya. ngyon po ay mag 6 years old na po sya.please kailangan ko po ng reply salamat po

  2. Maricel Jumawan // January 25, 2014 at 2:30 pm // Reply

    hello, tanong ko lang po kong kailangan ko po bang renew US passport ng anak ko .mag expired po sya ngayong oct. 2014, 1st time nya po gagamitin passport nya papuntang California po kami ngayong april. nagaalala lang po ako kong need ba renew passport nya .kasi 7months old pa po sya nong kinuhaan namin sya ng passport picture. tapos mag 6 years old na po sya this coming oct. plss need reply salamat po

    • Eto yung instructions. Just follow it step by step. You or both parents must be present. If only one, you need the Statement of Consent for the other parent. It is self-expalanatory. Dun ka babayad sa US Embassy. Follow this link. Salamat. – They will mail the passport to you once it is done. It will take 2-3 weeks for this process once na ma-submit mo. It’s usually earlier but they won’t promise.

  3. Honeywel Garcia // January 24, 2014 at 11:11 am // Reply

    How much po now yung renewal ng us visa? Gusto ko sana pagahandaan yung renewal. Thanks

  4. Good day! Any idea how long after you mail in the application to the Embassy do they email you back for instructions on when to make the payment? Do they also email you when they have shipped your passport back to you with tracking information etc?

    Thanks so much for your time!

    • It should between 2 – 3 weeks. As far as the payment, their website will tell you where to make that payment. They will also call you if they have a question about your passport.

    • The passport renewal process take 2-3 weeks. I believe they call/text you when they ship it.

      • Thanks for this article and for replying to my questions :) Got my US passport less than a month after submitting it to the Embassy. A special thank-you for informing us of the specific entrance for US citizens. Sa dami ng tao dun, malilito ka talaga kung saan ka pupunta – lalo na pag first-timer. Thanks and God bless.

      • Hello Cee B.

        Anytime po and enjoy kayo dyan sa Pinas.


        Paul Wemaster

  5. Gud day Admin,lhaine here again.nabasa q message nyo just now kaya nman gustu ko mag pasalamat sa informasyon n binigay ngayun 19yrs old n ang binata meron nman ako hawak n birthcertificate nya na galing sa Saipan.gagawin ko ang payo nyo maraming salamat Admin!

  6. Gud day!po ask ko lang sana sa anak ko ipinanganak ko sya sa Saipan after 3months inuwi kona sya sa pinas kaya ang hawak nyang pasport is US.hanggang ngayun po hindi n na e renew ang pasport nya single mother nalang po kc po gustu ko e renew ano po kailngan ko gawin salamt po

    • Tawagan mo ang US Embassy – Passport Renewal Hotline for more information. Question lang, ilang taon na ba yung anak mo? And, may birth certificate ka ba? Anyway, Download mo yung Passport Renewal Form sa US Embassy Manila website, fill out mo yung form, kuha ng picture sa anak mo, pay through the accredited bank (nasa website din nila), then i-send mo yung old passport at application form sa US Embassy through Air21 kung available sa yo. Hindi ka nila i-entertain kung papasok ka because they will refer you back sa hotline. Kailangan may appointment ka for them to entertain you.

  7. Hi i sent my us passport for additional visa pages via air21 they charged me just for the shipping how do i pay the actual passport fees? Im in davao by the way would i be required to go to manila just for the payment?

  8. My dad is a u.s. citizen. His passport expired over a year ago. He is here in the Philippines now. He wants to renew his american passport. What is the procedure? Thank you.

    • Hi Nenette, have him call the US Embassy in Manila and schedule an appointment. He can also fill out the Passport Renewal Form and send it together with the necessary photos, and the old passport. He will also have to pay for the Renewal Fee and shipping through a bank (it should be listed on their website which one). It will take anywhere from 2 to 3 weeks to process it. Once it is done, they may call your dad and send the passport through Air 21 Courier.

      If your dad is in the Visayas area, he can also go to the US Consulate in Cebu for consultation.

    • Has any body paid through the bank before? I don’t want to go all the way to Manila just to pay. Can someone list here all the options of payment. On the Embassy’s website it says for you to go to the Embassy just pay the application fee or you can send a representative to pay the application fee on your behalf.

  9. Gary G. Downey // September 22, 2013 at 2:20 pm // Reply

    Paul : Thank You for the reply.The passport is not for my daughter .The passport is for me , and my step daughter lives in Cebu.My question is may I fill out the application on line plus send that and my pictures ,plus my old passport to my daughter or to the consul and have her bring the passport fee .. Thank You Paul Gary Downey

  10. Gary G. Downey // July 27, 2013 at 6:10 am // Reply

    I have a step daughter that lives in Cebu , can I make out the application on line and send that plus the 2 pictures along with the money to her , and have her go to the Consult in Cebu to pay for the new passport. Also instruct her to inform the Consult that I would like the new and old passport mailed to my home address here in Tagum City (Davao Del Norte).. Thank You

    • Hi Gary,

      I’m sorry for the late reply. Hope all worked out for you. My question is, has she been issued a US passport before?

      The Consul in Cebu was a walk-in. They will help you/her out. She will need to fill out the form prior to going there. She will also need to pay at the Consul. Please check their website because they are closed sometimes for a week.

      Daghang Salamat.


  11. Hello Elena,

    You have to set up an appointment online. They won’t entertain you unless it is an emergency.

    Follow the instructions here –

    The process does work. I had to renew mine last year in the Philippines.

    They use Air21 and you pay Air21 once you receive the passport.

    Good luck.


1 2 3 10

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.